Tuesday 29 September 2015

Education, Education, Education...

While the programme for the plenary sessions are set by the party, delegates and visitors can choose what subjects they can pursue whilst at conference. For me, Monday was education day. I began with a breakfast meeting which considered "Can the education system close the character gap?". Demos, the think tank, had sponsored the meeting - and as well as an excellent presentation, there were a couple of education reports available, which I'm in the process of reading through. Other presentations and discussions gave valuable food for thought.

At lunchtime, my chosen fringe meeting considered the Education and Adoption Bill currently before Parliament. I have been following that bill closely, in my role as an academic researcher - and sat through every session of the Public Bill Committee. It's a bill which appears small - but has some key elements in it - which could have a major impact on how power is distributed within the education world. It could go far to facilitate Nicky Morgan's stated objective of 100% academisation by 2020.

All this aids my own education - as did the first of five training sessions I have signed up for. The party provides these - and I am focusing on developing my understanding of the computer software that can be used to assist in campaigning.

Tonight I went to the East Midlands reception on the beach (well a cafe on the beach) - it was great to meet up with so many friends, and to make new ones. Then food and music at the "Diversity Night" before a quiet glass of wine and a chat at the "Hotel du Vin"


No comments:

Post a Comment