Sunday 11 October 2015

Back on target!

 
I'd love to say that I took a well earned rest after Labour Party Conference - but I had no such luxury - it has been a very busy period. Lot's of follow up to do as a result of conference; preparing for the new teaching year (I will be teaching on two Open University Law courses from October to May; having two W200 tutorial courses (Birmingham and Reading) and W201 (Reading)); and writing some proposals for papers I hope to deliver at conferences in 2016. I've also been involved in organising a day's conference on American Politics for the American Politics Group, of which I am vice-chair.

But with much of the immediate work completed, I can return to posting on jdm_progressive. During the next week I'll be down at Westminster again. There are some interesting meetings of committees coming up.

One of my policy passions concerns Lifestyle Influenced Chronic Diseases. The NHS faces a potentially crippling crisis as obesity, diabetes, dementia and mental health problems such as depression are set to increase. But not only are the potential costs astronomical - but personal costs of early death and disability will be immense for those that suffer from these conditions.

Action can be taken to reduce the threat - but as ever, there are powerful forces who are doing all they can to protect their profits, despite the harm that their products cause. Perhaps you read the article about the Coca Cola funded research which is being used to lessen the impact of independent research. (we've been down this road before - with the Tobacco companies). This article comes from the Daily Mail -
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3266079/Coca-Cola-pouring-millions-scientific-research-healthy-eating-schemes-counter-claims-drinks-cause-obesity.html
Not my paper of choice (I read the piece in the Guardian), but even the Right are concerned about the impact of Coke's actions are on our national, and personal health!


On Tuesday the Health Committee is holding an evidence session on Childhood obesity. If, like me, you can't catch it at the time - Parliamentlive.tv stores video and audio recordings of committee hearings.

Further details of the inquiry can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment